Creating a greener and cleaner workplace is the new norm.
All businesses should strive to lower their negative environmental impact and promote sustainability at all levels. A greener and cleaner workplace means that your business can combine products, design, construction and initiatives to reduce your ecological footprint.
Building a greener workplace means that you can optimise resources efficiently while creating healthier (and safer) environments for staff to work in. This can boost worker satisfaction and productivity, which trickles into better services and an amazing reputation to your customers.
Although it can be an overwhelming process to shift your business into a greener and cleaner workplace, this article will give you some easy tips on how to improve your sustainability and recommends the eco-friendly hygiene products that are worthwhile to enhance your business’s work spaces. Check out our guide below!
Reduce Energy Usage – Green Lighting
Reducing your business’s energy use is an efficient way to create a greener and cleaner workspace. There are many ways to go about achieving this: you can invest in special sensors to control lights in low-use areas and incorporate timers for after-office hours.
While optimising natural light is highly recommended throughout your office spaces, there are also other eco-friendly lighting alternatives, such as energy-efficient light bulbs that use LED technology, meaning that they are able to consume less power per unit of light emitted. This reduces greenhouse emissions from power plants.
Alternatively, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) are a decent option for creating your greener and cleaner workplace, since they are recyclable, generate less heat and contain less mercury than incandescent lights. By building this green power, this will ensure that your workplace becomes more eco-friendly, safe and hygienic in the long run.
You should also consider creating onsite generation of renewable energy such as solar and wind power, while also taking into account the heating or cooling facilities used within the office. Use sufficient insulation to reduce the need for artificial temperature controls, which will help lower your energy costs and create a greener, cleaner workplace.
Use Non-toxic & Protective Furnishings
Having an eco-friendly design layout in your workplace will ensure that your business is properly equipped to improve sustainability and cleanliness. Unfortunately, many businesses often have poorly manufactured furniture cluttering their offices. Most of the furnishings and decor are not sourced sustainably, while the materials often emit harmful chemicals – these can severely affect the health and safety of your staff.
That’s why investing in the proper furnishings to decorate your business spaces is crucial, while simultaneously fostering a greener environment. There are a broad, versatile range of eco-friendly furniture out in the market, from handcrafted rattan or custom-made bamboo pieces, sustainably sourced timber, recycled homewares, oxide-free ceramics and choosing non-toxic upholstery fabrics.
Many businesses also often overlook the importance of flooring. Alsco’s Dust Control and Floor Protection Mats are specially designed to trap 80% of dirt, dust and water before they even enter the workplace. Not only does this make your spaces cleaner, it reduces floor wear and tear while minimising any slippery accidents. They are also environmentally friendly, made from recycled PET bottles – awesome right?
Optimise Your Washroom Design
The key to creating a greener and cleaner workplace is to optimise your business’s washroom design. The washroom is undoubtedly one of the dirtiest spaces in your business – the good news is that there are so many ways to improve your washroom hygiene, leaving it aromatic and squeaky clean. Check out these innovative eco-friendly washroom products:
- Odour Control – Designed for maximum circulation, Oxygen-based dispensers are a revolutionary product for your workplace. Not only do they help businesses reduce their carbon footprint, they use an oxygen-based delivery method to release pure natural oil-based aromas and eliminate malodours.
- Instant Hand Sanitiser – Hand hygiene is crucial for any workplace. With these Instant Hand Sanitisers wall-mounted in your business washrooms, you’ll never have to worry about bacterial infection and contamination. This gentle sanitiser kills 99.9% of germs, while being environmentally safe and waterless.
- Feminine Hygiene – Feminine Hygiene units are a hygienic and eco-friendly way to keep your business washrooms feeling cleaner and greener. These include compact sanitary bins with a lift-flap mechanism, which requires minimal contact for optimal hygiene. The anti-bacterial liner in the bin also kills 99.999% of germs.
- Intense Biological Treatment – Professional deep cleaning is a must for any business. With the Fresh & Clean Intense Biological Treatment, you can eliminate persistent odours and grime plaguing your washrooms. The 100% biodegradable and environmentally sustainable hygiene solutions will leave your washrooms sparkling.
Invest in Greener Cleaning Products
- Non-Solvent Parts Washers – Alsco’s EcoSafe Washer is a 100% natural and eco-friendly alternative to harmful solvent washers for your business’s industrial cleaning needs. It uses aqueous, non-toxic and water-based cleaning fluids, which powerfully cleans the grease and oil through a unique process known as Bioremediation. This neutralises hazardous chemicals and minimises contaminants.
- Industrial Wipes – Reusable wipes are an affordable and eco-friendly way to clean just about every surface. This makes them a perfect industrial cleaning solution for all kinds of businesses operating in different industries. Made from 100% cotton, Alsco’s uses advanced filtering techniques and complies with Australian standards, so contaminants are recycled or disposed of under the right processes.
- Continuous Hand Towel – Cloth towels dry the hands quicker and more thoroughly, which means reduced risks of bacterial cross-contamination. They also have separate chambers for the new and used portion of the towel, which ensures no contact and optimal hygiene. Compared to paper towels, they use 63% less energy, create 48% less greenhouse gases and up to 79% less waste.
Outsource Your Garments & Workwear
Our society is becoming more environmentally conscious, so consumers and businesses alike have adapted accordingly. A great way to create a more hygienic and greener workplace is to outsource your laundry to a company that uses environmentally-friendly equipment and actively incorporates going green into their services.
At Alsco, we’ve decreased the energy usage of our newest facilities by 63%. We’ve also researched and improved our water reuse systems, meaning that we use up to 50% less water and 30% less chemicals. Choosing Alsco means choosing a brighter, greener future for our environment. Not only that, it also means creating cleaner, healthier Australian workplaces.
A high-quality, well designed and maintained uniform can improve staff motivation, brand image and customer service. Alsco offers a flexible range of industrial workwear and work uniforms that combine style, comfort, durability and safety to ensure your staff look and feel their best. Through our Managed Rental Program, we supply the freshly cleaned uniforms you select for your business, which are regularly washed, dried, pressed and re-delivered to your door on a weekly basis.
Creating a greener and cleaner workplace has never become easier with Alsco’s professional hygiene products and rental services. For more information, contact us now!