Looking for great environmentally focused apps for your iPhone or iPod? Look no further!
Here are Greenroom’s favourite apps to help you live a more sustainable life. All available from the iTunes store.
1. Carbon Tracker (free) –This great app uses GPS to calculate your carbon footprint based on how much you travel. You can chart your carbon emission changes by month and set goals to decrease them. The app factors emission for planes, train and cars, as well as a few other vehicles.
2. Skeptical Science (free) – Ignorance and misinformation about global warming abounds. This app gives you access to all of the facts, at your fingertips, for you to refute the irrational global warming naysayers.
3. Green Charging ($0.99) – makes your phone vibrate and sound an alarm when it’s fully charged to save energy. It also displays how much talk time you have at your current battery level. This app is handy because phones and other devices can use up a significant amount of energy even when they’re no longer charging. Unplugging electronics when you’re not using them is a good green habit to develop, and this app can help you get into it.
4. MeterRead ($2.99) – allows you to easily track your electricity usage on your household meter. This is often located just outside your house, but most people do not take the time to read their own electricity meter. Why? Often, it is not exactly logical to figure out without a guide, and most people won’t take the time to figure out how to read it on their own or look it up online. MeterRead takes the guesswork out of this and allows you to easily monitor your own electricity usage with easy meter reading instructions guide.
5. Shop Ethical! ($4.49) – also available on the Android platform, this app offers purchasing advice on products available in Australia, particularly in supermarkets. It looks at the environmental and social record of companies behind common brand names.
Ecosafe Car Parts Washer
The Alsco Ecosafe Washer is a safe, economical car part cleaning solution – that doesn’t require the use of harmful solvents. Outperforming other parts washers, the Ecosafe Washer uses a bioremediation process to effectively clean engine parts, eliminating the need for harmful solvents and creating no waste products. Even better, the Ecosafe Washer is kind to employees – with no exposure to harmful chemicals or toxic fumes, OH&S becomes much simpler. Alsco offer a free 2 week trial of the Ecosafe Industrial Washer so you can discover the benefits for yourself.
Image Courtesy: Gerd Altmann